14 Bands That Metallica Fans Should Listen To

Publish date: 2024-05-03

Voivod is one of, if not the, best thrash metal bands to come out of Canada. They too are longtime veterans of the genre with decades of experience, since the group formed back in 1981 (AllMusic). The fact that Jason Newsted became a member after leaving Metallica a couple of decades later shows the band's quality, since the talented musician likely had all sorts of options at that time.

The bassist was certainly satisfied with the switch, however, telling MTV, "I've been a fan of Voivod for many, many years," and adding, "I get to live two dreams in one lifetime, and very few people get even a chance for one." Plus, Newsted went so far as to reveal that he believed he was in a better position having left his former group, stating with confidence, "I think that I'm in a band now that can kick their ass."

It is up for debate whether Voivod is actually the better of the two bands, but what is certain is that the Canadian rockers should not be ignored by those who can't get enough thrash metal. Not only would Metallica fans definitely enjoy Newsted's contribution to the group, but there is also a good chance they will find the band's effective use of hard rock and progressive metal, along with a hint of jazz, quite refreshing.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7qL7Up56eZpOkunB9kHFrb2llZK%2BiusOsZK2gkal6rrHTmqOloZOWeqetzaxkrKCfqrmlecuiqq2dnmLBsHs%3D